google playGoogle
app storeiOS
settings icon
profile icon

I just make films to entertain the audience: Vignesh Shivn responds to the Kaathuvaakula Rendu Kaadhal criticism

Kaathuvaakula Rendu Kaadhal, directed by Vignesh Shivn, hit the screens on April 28

  • Team OTTplay

Last Updated: 03.00 AM, May 02, 2022

Share
I just make films to entertain the audience: Vignesh Shivn responds to the Kaathuvaakula Rendu Kaadhal criticism
Vignesh Shivn

Vignesh Shivn's Kaathuvaakula Rendu Kaadhal, featuring Nayanthara, Vijay Sethupathi and Samantha Ruth Prabhu, in pivotal roles, has attracted criticism for the way he's handled polyamory, and how it largely panders to the male audience.

In an interview with the leading online portal, Vignesh Shivn says, he avoids discussing scripts with others before making films, as "he believes that too many opinions distract him from his objective."

Vignesh admits he doesn't know much about feminism and sexism. "I just make movies to entertain. I faced backlash even with Paava Kadhaigal. For me, entertainment is the main goal, and I move the story towards that!"

The filmmaker goes on to say, "Even when I write a song, the priority is to make it a hit. 90 percent of my thoughts are about whether the scene is enjoyable or not. The other (obvious) things come within the remaining 10 percent."

Vignesh observes he doesn't know if he is mature enough to balance the fun (and society-related issues.) He says, "In Sex Education (on Netflix), a mother character, also a sex therapist, gives tips to her son. You can't have that scene without discussing whatever the mother character did, with her son. Asking certain questions will stop the story from moving forward."

Speaking about Kaathuvaakula Rendu Kaadhal, Vignesh says, "The film is very special in itself for me. I have spent seven years working on this script. I saw the film in theatres, and it has everything I expected it to be. I wanted people to clap during the scene in which they (characters Samantha and Nayanthara) debate about almonds and pistachios. I write my films with conviction. Of course, I have certain things in my films because that's exactly what I wanted them to be.

Vignesh Shivn had also spoken about Nayanthara. “She's my first critic. We always bounce off ideas with each other. Nobody can influence Nayanthara. She's clear about her choices. I'm just fortunate to be around. We were to shoot Kaathuvaakula Rendu Kaadhal, as soon as Naanum Rowdy Dhaan got released, but somehow, we couldn't. Initially, I approached Trisha, for Samantha's character. I couldn't proceed with the shoot, without the set of actors that I wanted. Meanwhile, I did Thaana Serndha Koottam with Suriya sir,” he recalls.

It was Nayanthara who convinced Samantha to be a part of Kaathuvaakula Rendu Kaadhal, acknowledges Vignesh Shivn. “After Nayan spoke to Samantha, over the phone, I met her for the narration. The story demanded someone of her stature. Sam got hooked on the story instantly. She's an extremely dedicated artiste. Samantha coming on board made so much of a difference for this film,” he says.

More than making films, Vignesh Shivn loves to pen lyrics. “I find it most gratifying, and I had a great time penning the lyrics of Naan Pizhai. Songwriting is something that I enjoy; be it for others or mine. I always feel the second line should be better than the first. I put my heart and soul into the process.”

0
Partner sites:
Hindustan Times · Live Hindustan · Live Mint
Desimartini · Shine · Healthshots · Slurrp
Copyright @ 2021 OTTplay, Hindustan Media Ventures Limited