Peaky Blinders is a riveting BBC period crime drama TV series that follows a story set in Birmingham, England during the early 20th century. The plot centers around Tommy Shelby and the Shelby crime family, who are heads of the gang of outlaws named Peaky Blinders.
Welcome to OTTplay Now You Know, one podcast that gives you all the trivia and lesser-known facts that you might have missed knowing about your favorite shows and films. I'm your host Nikhil.
Peaky Blinders is a riveting BBC period crime drama TV series that follows a story set in Birmingham, England during the early 20th century. The plot centers around Tommy Shelby and the Shelby crime family, who are heads of the gang of outlaws named Peaky Blinders. Featuring an ensemble star cast with stunning performances, the show has captured the hearts of its audience awaiting many more seasons. But unfortunately, the creators of the show announced that the sixth season would be the final one. Let's get into some trivia now!
1. The name Peaky Blinders is in reference to the short-brimmed hats worn by gangsters and the blades hidden within these caps were often used in fights to blind their opponents.
2. However, it is unlikely the real peaky blinders used razor blades within their caps as they were considered luxury products at the time. The idea was actually conceived in the novel A Walk Down Summer Lane by John Douglas.
3. In the first season, the fourth episode featured Thomas Shelby speaking in Romani to Zilpha Lee, as the Lees and Shelbys are Romani gypsies. But unfortunately, the language spoken is Romanian and Romani - two very different languages and was later rectified in the third season.
4. The Thomas Hudson factory featured in the first season, which made whistles for soldiers in the First World War and for the Titanic, is a company that is still in operation to this day.
5. Cillian Murphy, a non-smoker, has smoked nearly 6000 herbal cigarettes for the show on set. These herbal variants do not contain nicotine or tobacco, and creator, Steven Knight, joked that they are so mild that Murphy’s total could barely be counted as Knight’s ‘five-a-day’.
6. Steven Knight refuses to watch any other popular TV show, such as The Wire and Boardwalk Empire, so that he does not get accidentally influenced by them while writing Peaky Blinders.
7. Characters John Shelby and Micahel Gray, who are cousins in the show, are played by real-life brothers Joe and Finn Cole
8. Steven Knight initially wanted Jason Statham to be cast in Peaky Blinders, after working with him in the 2013 film Hummingbird. Unfortunately, Statham was unable to commit to the project due to scheduling issues.
9. The late Helen McCrory, who plays Polly Gary, the aunt matriarch of the Shelbys, based her Brummie accent on Black Sabbath frontman Ozzy Osbourne. She used to watch countless interviews and concerts of Osbourne to nail the accent.
If you haven't watched this series yet then do so streaming exclusively on Netflix.
Well that's the OTTplay Now You Know for today's podcast, I will be back again soon with another episode. Until then it's your host Nikhil signing out.
Aaj kya dekhoge OTTplay se poocho