Diesel had made a public post on social media last month asking Johnson to reprise his role as Lucas Hobbs
Dwayne Johnson has vehemently denied his return to the Fast & Furious franchise, again. The star’s latest statement dismissing his involvement in Fast & Furious 10 comes on the heels of his former co-star Vin Diesel’s very public request.
In November, Diesel had made a post on his official Instagram handle with an ardent request to Johnson to return for the upcoming tenth instalment in the franchise. Johnson had essayed the role of secret agent Lucas Hobbs and Diesel had mentioned in his note how the character could not be played by any one else. The actor had ended the note saying that it was Johnson’s ‘destiny’ to play the role.
Check out the post below.
In conversation with CNN, Johnson addressed the post nearly two months after it was made. Slamming Diesel for making the public post after the duo had privately decided on the matter, Johnson said that it felt manipulative and chided the former for making mention of his children and Paul Walker. Johnson stated that while he was firm in his decision to not come back to the franchise, he expressed support and good wishes to his co-stars. He also said he regretted the disputes that had risen over his decision to not continue.
Johnson had made his first appearance in the franchise in Fast Five. His last appearance was in the spin-off film Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw, where he shared the screen with Jason Statham.
In addition to Diesel, the film also features the return of Tyrese Gibson, Sung Kang, Chris “Ludacris” Bridges, Jordana Brewster and Michelle Rodriguez.
Fast & Furious 10 is slated to be released on May 19, 2023.