google playGoogle
app storeiOS
settings icon
profile icon

Home»News»MCU Phase 6: The Gray Man directors Joe and Anthony Russo to NOT helm the next two Avengers movies»

MCU Phase 6: The Gray Man directors Joe and Anthony Russo to NOT helm the next two Avengers movies

Many have wondered if Joe and Anthony Russo would return to helm the two new Avengers films, considering that the duo has previously expressed an interest to direct the Secret Wars film.

  • Swaroop Kodur

Last Updated: 01.15 PM, Jul 26, 2022

Share
MCU Phase 6: The Gray Man directors Joe and Anthony Russo to NOT helm the next two Avengers movies
The Russo Brothers

Marvel fans were recently treated to a special announcement that said that two new Avengers films are now officially on the cards. Titled Avengers: The Kang Dynasty and Avengers: Sixth Game, the two projects are part of Phase 6 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and will conclude the Multiverse Saga, which is likely to be kicked off in 2024 by the Fantastic Four adaptation.

In this vein, many have wondered if Joe and Anthony Russo would return to helm the two new Avengers films, considering that the duo has previously expressed an interest to direct the Secret Wars film. The Russo Brothers, as they are properly referred to, have previously directed the 2018 Avengers: Infinity War and later the Avengers: Endgame, both turning out to be gigantic box office successes worldwide and managing to nudge the MCU in a more idiosyncratic direction.

However, confirming that The Russo Brothers are not coming back to direct the upcoming Avengers films, Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige said:

“They’re not connected to it. They’ve been very direct about that. We love them, they love us. We want to find something to do together, it’s not this” (as revealed to Deadline).

Previously, The Gray Man co-director Joe Russo spoke to Deadline about the prospects of helming the concluding two films of Phase 6, revealing that the idea of having to better the previous Avengers films (Infinity War and Endgame) would certainly be a monumental task.

“It’s a massive undertaking. Those two movies were very hard to make. So, trying to imagine making another two movies even bigger than those two? We’re going to have to sleep on that,” he said to Deadline. Both Joe and Anthony Russo have alluded to the fact that their love for Marvel is based on the books they read while growing up and the Secret Wars series is the one, they truly adore. However, fans would now have to make do with a director(s) in charge of the beloved Avengers series.

Avengers: Kang Dynasty (tentatively releasing on May 2, 2025), reportedly, will see the emergence of the next big baddie into the MCU: The Disney+ series Loki finale showed Kang the Conqueror (played by Jonathan Majors) making his entry. Avengers: Secret Wars (November 7, 2025) is likely to be based on the 16-part Secret Wars comic book series which sees the most powerful heroes and villains of the Marvel Universe take on one another for the ultimate glory, on a distinct planed named Battleworld.

0