Do you spend more time in trying to choose shows and movies than actually watching them? Don't worry, RJ Stutee is here with her recommendations for the week. This week, she talks about Hellbound, Dhamaka, The Wheel Of Time among other projects.
OTTplay Bingelist with RJ Stutee
While Bunty Aur Babli 2 has opted for a theatrical release this week there are enough and more reasons to stay back and watch some stellar content online across OTT platforms. Here are some recommendations:
1. HELLBOUND – Everything South Korean is a rage and so there is obviously considerable excitement to watch Train to Busan director’s latest offering Hellbound - Netflix’s six-part supernatural horror. Yours truly saw it first at the Toronto International Film Festival this year where it became the first Korean drama to be invited. Helmed by Yeon Sang-ho, based on his own webtoon of the same title it is a thriller series set in a dystopian world with supernatural beings appearing out of nowhere to condemn people to hell, starring Yoo Ah-in, Kim Hyun-joo, Park Jeong-min, Won Jin-ah and Yang Ik-june. In the series’ opening minutes we see massive, Hulk-like monsters appear out of nowhere to chase a man through the busy streets of downtown Seoul. Three demonic, amorphous figures come smashing through the front window. The man runs out of the shop and down the busy city streets in terror, trying to escape. The ominous figures catch him, pin him to the ground, and perform a ritual that leaves his body in ashes. Then, they disappear just as mysteriously as they came, through a portal into what seems like another realm. A crowd surrounds the scene, capturing the disturbing act on cellphones. These supernatural events cause great mayhem and enable the religious group 'The New Truth' to grow in influence. A few people, however, become suspicious about its activities and begin investigating its involvement in mysterious events. As the world turns into chaos, it becomes a living hell. Don’t miss the thrilling pre-credits scene which was illustrated by Choi Kyu-seok, who co-wrote Hellbound. A terrifying commentary about a society taken over by religious fanatics it’s as disturbing as it is engrossing watch it on Netflix.
2. DHAMAKA – Karthik Aryan who we are used to seeing in frothy rom coms dons a new avatar as a cynical ex-prime time news anchor who is desperate to get his glory days back. As the name suggests, a certain “dhamaka” is at the centre of the proceedings which threaten to alter a lot of things in our protagonist's life. Directed by Ram Madhavani, it's just a little over 90 mins. Arjun Pathak who now hosts a radio show gets a call from a man who threatens to blow up the Sea Link. From the trailer, we know Arjun treats this as his exclusive big breaking story which will get him his prime news slot back but are things really as simple as they appear. Watch it on Netflix to find out.
3. YOUR HONOUR S2 – If you have seen the previous season then you know how addictive Your Honour is. Season 2 picks up from where we left. The wonderfully restrained Jimmy Shergill is back caught between his duties as a law-abiding citizen and doting dad. The struggle is palpable and one can't help but empathize with his plight. After Judge Bishan Khosla shoots Satnam (son of ganglord Satbir Mudki), he finds himself in serious trouble, not only with his family but also with fellow gangsters on their side. The narrative then is subsumed by the overarching theme of revenge as everyone tries to profit from the situation5 episodes are out and episodes 6-10 will release on 24th Nov. The terrific ensemble cast has a few welcome additions with Gulshan Grover, Zeishan Quadri and Mahie Gill appearing in this season along with Mita Vashisht, Varun Badola, Parul Gulati, Suhasini Mulay and Richa Pallod. Watch it on SonyLiv
4. THE WHEEL OF TIME – In 2017 then Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos ordered his team to create a show that would be their answer to Game of Thrones and here we are! Based on Robert Jordan’s best-selling fantasy novels, The Wheel of Time is one of the most popular and enduring fantasy series of all time. Set in a sprawling, epic world where magic exists and only certain women are allowed to access it, the story follows Moiraine (Rosamund Pike), a member of the incredibly powerful all-female organization called the Aes Sedai, as she arrives in the small town of Two Rivers. Embarking on a dangerous, world-spanning journey with five chosen villagers one of whom is prophesied to be the Dragon Reborn, who will either save or destroy humanity. Created by Rafe Judkins there is enough intrigue, spectacle and magic to keep us hooked. Also, it helps that they have retained the essence of the book without being slavishly loyal to the original source material. It’s on Amazon Prime Video.
5. CHURULI – After Jallikattu, which was India’s submission for the 2020 Best International Film Oscar there is understandable excitement for his next Churuli. The word literally means Spiral or Labyrinth and like its name, there are no easy answers available. What Lijo Jose Pellissery however does brilliantly is built enough intrigue and use the locations to stunning effect. Written by S. Hareesh who also wrote the screenplay for Jallikattu it stars Chemban Vinod Jose, Vinay Forrt and Joju George in key roles Churuli tells the story of two undercover police officers Antony and Shajivan who go in search of a wanted criminal named Mayiladumpara Joy. However, they get stuck in the village of Churuli as eerie mysteries unfold. The trailer begins with a lady retelling a folk tale about the legend of a phantom in the jungle who has fun misguiding people. This enigmatic blend of supernatural and sci-fi definitely holds promise. Watch it on SonyLiv.