Find out how well you know one of the greatest filmmakers from India by answering these 10 questions
Netflix is celebrating one of the greatest storytellers of all time - Satyajit Ray – with the anthology titled Ray, which has four segments based on the master auteur’s short stories. Through his acclaimed works, the filmmaker has been an inspiration for directors in the country as well as Hollywood such as Steven Spielberg and Martin Scorsese. We have curated a list of questions that only a true Satyajit Ray fan can answer. Check out the trivia quiz below and find out if you are one.
1. The film tells the story of a man who loses something when he needs it the most to retain his new job. He embarks on a journey with his son to catch the culprit.
2. Benode Behari Mukherjee used to teach at Visva-Bharati University, a university founded by Rabindranath Tagore at Santiniketan. He was not only a remarkable artiste but also a born fighter and a great philosopher.
3. The French director was also an actor, producer and author. He has also received a Lifetime Achievement Academy Award in 1975.
4. The film is one of the parts of the trilogy that has been written and directed by Ray. The critically acclaimed movie is an adaptation of a novel by Bibhutibhushan Bandopadhyay.
5. The fictional character is part of Ray’s movie, which bagged the National Film Awards for Best Feature Film in 1955.
6. The film focuses on conversations between an actor and a journalist while they are on a train. It features veteran actress Sharmila Tagore.
7. Ray’s Bengali science fiction books, which were published in 1965, features this character. By occupation, he is a physicist and an inventor.
8. According to Ray, Subrata Mitra’s camera work was even better than the critically acclaimed French cinematographer Raoul Coutard’s.
9. The renowned director and actor was also an entrepreneur. Apart from being part of the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art and the British Academy of Film and Television Arts, he was also the president of Chelsea FC.
10. Both these films of Ray are female-centric and features a famous actress as the lead.
Check how many you got right -
Answer 1: Bicycle Thieves
Answer 2: The Inner Eye
Answer 3: Jean Renoir
Answer 4: Apur Sansar
Answer 5: Indir Thakrun
Answer 6: Nayak
Answer 7: Professor Shonku
Answer 8: Bounce Lighting
Answer 9: Richard Attenborough
Answer 10: Mahanagar and Charulata