Last Updated: 06.13 AM, Jan 16, 2022
As another weekend approaches, and the virus shows no signs of slowing down its prudent to stay put at home. But we will ensure you don’t have a single dull moment with this curated list of must- watch films and shows :
1. Garuda Gamana Vrishabha Vahana – Indian Kannada language gangster drama thriller helmed by writer- director and lead actor Raj B Shetty. This is a world steeped in violence and bloodshed and almost entirely devoid of women. But the raw energy and atmosphearics make it a compelling watch. The film’s story isnt paticularly novel. It chronicals the rise and fall of two criminals, Shiva (Raj B Shetty) and Hari (Rishab Shetty) marinated with references to Hindu mythology set in Mangaladevi near Mangalore. The entry of a third character Brammaya threatens to change existing dynamics. With Siva, Hari and Brammaya Raj Shetty tries to reimagine the holy trinity as flawed characters in a modern setting this is a fascinating watch. Go check it out on Zee5
2. Ranjish Hi Sahi– As the trailer informs us in this 8 part series we are transported back in time to the Bollywood of the 70’s in the city of stars. Createdby Mahesh Bhatt it borrows heavily from his life. Be it his relationship with the then top actress Parveen Babi or his bond with his mother. Featuring Tahir Raj Bhasin, Amala Paul, and Amrita Puri in lead roles its been written and directed by Pushpdeep Bhardwaj. The story revolves around a filmmaker Shankar, who becomes successful and later goes on to have an extramarital affair with actor Amna Parvez. We have seen bhatt tackle these epiosodes of his life in films like Arth, Who Lamhe and Zakhm. It would be intresting to see how it flows in long form content format as it explores themes of temptation, forbidden love, passion, loyalty, and mental illness. Its available on Voot.
3. Yeh Kaali Kaali Ankhein – Directed by Siddharth Sengupta , Yeh Kaali Kaali Aakhein is a gripping tale of love and obsession. We have Vikrant played by a terrific Tahir Raj Bhasin who is caught between a woman he loves Shikha (Shweta Tripathi) and a woman who desires him Purva (Anchal Singh). Vikrant is desperate to move out of his small town and start anew with the love of his life but Purva’s obsession not only upends all his plans but also pushes him to a frightening brink. With a great ensemble cast and a perfectly paced narrative Yeh Kaali Kaali Aakhein can be a very enjoyable watch. Its on Netflix.
4. Human – Disney+Hotstars’slatest original series Human examines the dark underbelly of the medical world- the corruption, evil pharma companies and their ruthless lobbying. A banned drug trial on humans? Sound scary right? The thought of human beings being used as guinea pigs is particularly unsettling and this forms the central premise of the show created by Vipul Amrutlal shah and Mozez Singh. Set in Bhopal it follows the events surrounding a pharma company’s dangerous push to allow for human trials of a life-threatening drug. This 10 part series particularly benefits from the casting. Shefali Shah is a class actor and she along with Kriti Kulhari are terrific in their roles.
5. Shane - Shane', a documentary film on Australia spin legend Shane Warne, will be available on BookMyShow Stream from January 15. Reliving the spinner's glorious cricketing journey over the years, it will give us a glimpse of Warne's life. From talking about his international career to taking Rajasthan Royals to win the inaugural IPL, way back in 2008 plus his close bond with Sachin Tendulkar its sure a treat for Shane fans and lovers of the sport.